turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sw22

I'm in college & a dependent of my parents but if I file my own taxes separately next year and say I'm a dependent, they won't be notified that I have a job, correct?

I'm 18+ & a dependent of my parents but I don't want my parents to find out I have a job when I file my taxes next year (nothing shady, they just want me to focus on school solely but I want some pocket money).  If I file my own taxes and say I'm a dependent (I understand I will have less of a refund, but willing to do this so my parents don't find out I have a job), they won't find out that I have a job, correct? No one will notify them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm in college & a dependent of my parents but if I file my own taxes separately next year and say I'm a dependent, they won't be notified that I have a job, correct?

They will never be notified. Even though they are your parents, it is a violation of your privacy to share the details of your tax return with them.

If you do not mark "someone else can claim me as a dependent," and they are still claiming you, they will be notified that your SSN has been used on another return and it will reject their tax return if they e-file. However, they will never know more than that. 

As long as you indicate they are claiming you, they will NEVER know anything.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

They will never be notified. Even though they are your parents, it is a violation of your privacy to share the details of your tax return with them.

If you do not mark "someone else can claim me as a dependent," and they are still claiming you, they will be notified that your SSN has been used on another return and it will reject their tax return if they e-file. However, they will never know more than that. 

As long as you indicate they are claiming you, they will NEVER know anything.

sw22

Thanks so much, this was really helpful.
k1210081

so what form should you fill? 1040EZ or anything else?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies