turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived and being claimed by daughter and not my husband on this years taxes. How is this shown on the tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I lived and being claimed by daughter and not my husband on this years taxes. How is this shown on the tax form?

Do I need complete a tax form?
Hal_Al
Level 15

It depends on how much income you have on your own.
A dependent  must file a tax return for 2018 if he/she had any of the following:
1. Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship, social security benefits etc.) of more than $12,000 .
2. Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1050.
3. Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050
4. Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2100 ($12.000 if under age 18)
5. Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC
6.     Gross income was at least $5 and his spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions

In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.

If you live in a community property state ( Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington or Wisconsin )and file separately, your spouse's income may be considered community income for income tax purposes. See Pub 555 Community Property - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p555.pdf">http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p555.pdf</a>

My husband filed married filing separately. Does he have to amend his tax form?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. He is (generally) REQUIRED to file as Married Filing Separately (MFS) if you are claimed as a dependent by someone else (e.g. your daughter).
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Your husband needs to select "Someone else can claim spouse" on his return. 

Your daughter claims you as her dependent, if applicable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies