Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in RI can i claim my car registrations and car taxes, what tab would that go under??? Also my husband is financing a work Van that holds all his tools for his job. He is not self employed, but makes it easier for his employer, can we claim anything

I am a nurse and my husband is in construction, what would be the best way to get more back on our return, should we file married filing jointly and is there a list of items from the IRS we may use as deductions?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RichardG

I live in RI can i claim my car registrations and car taxes, what tab would that go under??? Also my husband is financing a work Van that holds all his tools for his job. He is not self employed, but makes it easier for his employer, can we claim anything

You can deduct the portion of your registration fees that the state charged you for taxes based on the value of your vehicle. If you pay personal property taxes on the car separate from the registration fee, you can deduct the taxes, but not the registration fee.

It's almost always better for a married couple to file a joint tax return.  To find more deductions, just walk through the TurboTax interview for deductions and credits.  All the deductions the IRS permits are covered in the interview.

As for the van, If your husband is driving the van to job sites, he may be entitled to a mileage deduction.  The deduction will depend on whether his mileage is considered commuting or not.  Please read on for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300445

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies