tanya-miller1311

I live in RI can i claim my car registrations and car taxes, what tab would that go under??? Also my husband is financing a work Van that holds all his tools for his job. He is not self employed, but makes it easier for his employer, can we claim anything

I am a nurse and my husband is in construction, what would be the best way to get more back on our return, should we file married filing jointly and is there a list of items from the IRS we may use as deductions?
RichardG

You can deduct the portion of your registration fees that the state charged you for taxes based on the value of your vehicle. If you pay personal property taxes on the car separate from the registration fee, you can deduct the taxes, but not the registration fee.

It's almost always better for a married couple to file a joint tax return.  To find more deductions, just walk through the TurboTax interview for deductions and credits.  All the deductions the IRS permits are covered in the interview.

As for the van, If your husband is driving the van to job sites, he may be entitled to a mileage deduction.  The deduction will depend on whether his mileage is considered commuting or not.  Please read on for more information.