turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kina
Level 2

I keep getting the error "1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large." I've followed all of the instructions already posted - standard deduction, Wrap up my deductions

$300 entered.  Nothing seems to work to get me past that error.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I keep getting the error "1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large." I've followed all of the instructions already posted - standard deduction, Wrap up my deductions

To get past this issue, return to the Deductions & Credits section. If there is a value in the Cares Act area that you entered previously, delete it. It first must be entered in the regular Charitable Donations area. 

To qualify for the Cares Act above-the-line deduction up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150, for standard deduction filers, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

1. a cash contribution;
  2. made to a qualifying organization;
  3. made during the calendar year 2020

To enter charitable donations in TurboTax Online, follow these steps, which will resolve the Check this Entry:

1. From the left menu, select Federal.
  2. Four tabs will appear across the top of your program. Select the second tab, Deductions & Credits.
  3. Scroll to Charitable Donations and select Start to begin. 
  4. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your donations for 2020?
  5. For each donation, follow these steps:
    1. Enter who the donation was to at Let's enter your donations one at a time and indicate what type of item was donated, either an Item, Money, Stock, or Mileage and travel expenses
    2. Follow the prompts from there, and enter the amount of the donation 
    3. When finished, select Done with This Donation.
  6. Select + Add Another Donation if you have additional entries and Continue
  7. Next, to trigger the extra deduction screen, run through all the deductions and credits and click Wrap Up Tax Breaks again to trigger the Cares Act Charitable Donation screen so that it will automatically calculate. Leave this cell blank. The information entered in the regular area will be calculated and the maximum allowable deduction will be added.

Otherwise, to resolve Check this Entry, try deleting any charitable contribution related forms and re-entering your details, if any, by following these steps:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Charitable Contributions and select Delete and Delete Selected Form and Continue.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the next window and select Continue With My Return.
  6. Return to the Deductions & Credits section for Charitable Donations and re-enter the information.

@kina

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To get past this issue, return to the Deductions & Credits section. If there is a value in the Cares Act area that you entered previously, delete it. It first must be entered in the regular Charitable Donations area. 

To qualify for the Cares Act above-the-line deduction up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150, for standard deduction filers, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

1. a cash contribution;
  2. made to a qualifying organization;
  3. made during the calendar year 2020

To enter charitable donations in TurboTax Online, follow these steps, which will resolve the Check this Entry:

1. From the left menu, select Federal.
  2. Four tabs will appear across the top of your program. Select the second tab, Deductions & Credits.
  3. Scroll to Charitable Donations and select Start to begin. 
  4. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your donations for 2020?
  5. For each donation, follow these steps:
    1. Enter who the donation was to at Let's enter your donations one at a time and indicate what type of item was donated, either an Item, Money, Stock, or Mileage and travel expenses
    2. Follow the prompts from there, and enter the amount of the donation 
    3. When finished, select Done with This Donation.
  6. Select + Add Another Donation if you have additional entries and Continue
  7. Next, to trigger the extra deduction screen, run through all the deductions and credits and click Wrap Up Tax Breaks again to trigger the Cares Act Charitable Donation screen so that it will automatically calculate. Leave this cell blank. The information entered in the regular area will be calculated and the maximum allowable deduction will be added.

Otherwise, to resolve Check this Entry, try deleting any charitable contribution related forms and re-entering your details, if any, by following these steps:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Charitable Contributions and select Delete and Delete Selected Form and Continue.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the next window and select Continue With My Return.
  6. Return to the Deductions & Credits section for Charitable Donations and re-enter the information.

@kina

kina
Level 2

That resolved my issue - thank you so much!!!  

@KathrynG3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies