Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just got an email from GA DOR saying that we still owe $3795.80. Turbotax doesn't agree. Who is right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just got an email from GA DOR saying that we still owe $3795.80. Turbotax doesn't agree. Who is right?

TurboTax gets no information from your state after you file your tax return.  No one at TurboTax knows about a letter or message you received from your state.  TT has no way to know what the state changed on your return, or if you owe back taxes, child support, traffic fines, etc. in your state. Only the state can explain what they changed and why you owe more.  Contact the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I would be skeptical of an email that shows as from the GA DOR.  This could be a phishing attempt.

Contact the GA DOR to confirm - https://dor.georgia.gov/contact-us

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Government agencies generally do not send emails.  They send letters in the mail. You should contact the GA DOR before ever responding to an email or a request for money.  

However, if for some reason this is a LETTER NOT AN EMAIL....

We do not have access to your return or your letter in the community.  The information TurboTax produces is based on your entries.  So if you made an error in your entries, then the program would be making calculations off of your erroneous entry.  TurboTax does have a 100% Accuracy Guarantee as long as your entries are correct. 

It is also possible that the GA DOR has other information that may or may not be accurate.  So, you will need to determine where the discrepancy is coming from before being able to determine which numbers are correct.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies