Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed 2020. I learned the COVID stimulus checks are based on 2020 AGI if you already filed. My 2020 AGI is too high but my 2019 is not. Can I unfile somehow?

Can I cancel my return somehow and file after I get my stimulus check?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just filed 2020. I learned the COVID stimulus checks are based on 2020 AGI if you already filed. My 2020 AGI is too high but my 2019 is not. Can I unfile somehow?

The Recovery Rebate Credit is only based on your 2020 federal tax return, your filing status and your 2020 AGI.

IRS website for the Recovery Rebate Credit - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

Economic Impact Payments were based on your 2018 or 2019 tax year information. The Recovery Rebate Credit is similar except that the eligibility and the amount are based on 2020 information you include on your 2020 tax return.

I am referring to the new $1400 stimulus check just passed by the Senate not the Recovery Credit.

@Philo0 wrote:

I am referring to the new $1400 stimulus check just passed by the Senate not the Recovery Credit.

Since the legislation has not passed and has not been signed by the President nothing has changed in the tax code.  When and if the legislation is passed the IRS must write the regulations on how the stimulus payment will be distributed and which federal tax return the stimulus will be based upon.  Since nothing in the legislation seems to show this as being retroactive the assumption can only be it will be based on the 2020 federal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies