turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just did an amend to my 2020 return. It's not showing when I click on 2020. It did say that I needed to mail in the form. Could that be why it's not showing ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I just did an amend to my 2020 return. It's not showing when I click on 2020. It did say that I needed to mail in the form. Could that be why it's not showing ?

An amended 2020 return has to be sent in by mail---it cannot be e-filed.   Only some paid tax preparers are still able to e-file amended 2020 returns using their professional tax software.   You need to print, sign and mail your own 2020 1040X.   

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did you amend the 2020 tax return using the TurboTax desktop editions for tax year 2020?

To amend a 2020 return that was completed using the 2020 online editions, the Amend option shows that you need to use the 2020 desktop edition -

Amend 2020 TTO 2.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies