Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I installed the program (2020) but now where I try and open the program it opens instead winperrelease.msi and then crashes with file cannot be found in turbotax.cab

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I installed the program (2020) but now where I try and open the program it opens instead winperrelease.msi and then crashes with file cannot be found in turbotax.cab

I reinstalled and am OK

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Duplicate question

I reinstalled and am OK

joeanddani2000
Returning Member

Problem occured after updating TT Deluxe 2020 on 01/29/2021. Reinstalling!

I installed 2020 Turbo Deluxe and input data. Went back in to add info but agreed to update which took several minutes after which time I could not get back in and received TurboTax winperreleaseMsi message saying the file cannot be found in cabinet file TurboTax.cab. It then crashes. I've tried several times to open but keep getting the same message. Not sure what to do.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You may receive the following error when the TurboTax Installer can't read the files (for example, if the CD is damaged or dirty) or if the downloaded files are corrupted. Please see the FAQ link provided below for more information. If you are still having the issue after reviewing the link below, please reach out to TurboTax customer service

Error 1335 - Cabinet file is corrupt

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jim1942-1

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@Jim1942-1 Follow these steps in this link to ensure your TurboTax CD and CD/DVD drive work properly. See this TurboTax FAQ for help with troubleshooting TurboTax for Windows. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

D-T2020

I simply wanted to open last year's Turbo Tax to check something, and it asks for the registration code.  How am I supposed to remember that?  Your website just gives me the run around.  and there's no telephone number to call and no email address.  THIS IS A REALLY BAD WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER WHO'S USED YOUR PRODUCT FOR MANY YEARS! 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article for troubleshooting steps for this issue:

TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch

If the issue is still not resolved, please reach out to Customer Support here for further assistance. 

@D-T2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies