Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to file 2 separate state tax returns. I have already filed Fed thru TT. Can I file 1 state now and go back late and file the 2nd return at a different time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have to file 2 separate state tax returns. I have already filed Fed thru TT. Can I file 1 state now and go back late and file the 2nd return at a different time?

Yes, you can file 1 state return now and the other later.   You do not have to file the 2 state returns at the same time.

Is one state a resident state return or part-year resident return, and one a non-resident state return?   If so, you should prepare the non-resident state return first before any resident or part-year resident returns, so that everything will populate and calculate correctly on the resident state return and give you credit for any state taxes paid in the other state.    See the 2 FAQs I left you in another posting below.

Did you efile the Federal return?   If you efiled the Federal return, it has to have an efile status of "accepted" before it will let you efile any state return.    If you printed and mailed the Federal return, then you cannot efile the state returns. 

Here is some additional info to go with my post above.   Here are a couple of FAQs that might help, depending on your specific situation:

Non-resident state return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return/00/26066

Part-year resident state return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return/00/26057

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies