Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbernstein
Returning Member

I have no penalty, but Turbotax filled out a form 2210, checked Box A and wrote in "85% waiver". I submitted the return, but it was rejected

I have no penalty, but Turbotax filled out a form 2210, checked Box A and wrote in "85% waiver".  I submitted the return, but it was rejected saying:

F2210-003 - If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenaltyInd' is checked, then [WaiverExplanationStatement] must be attached to Form 2210.

I do not need a waiver and even if I did, I should not need a statement since the "85% waiver" is in the box.  I cannot find any way to delete the form 2210.  When I try to delete it in Forms View, it does NOT go away.  What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

161 Replies
ruediger

I have no penalty, but Turbotax filled out a form 2210, checked Box A and wrote in "85% waiver". I submitted the return, but it was rejected

I have exactly the same problem.
kbernstein
Returning Member

Just wanted to add that TurboTax did all its checks, but did not indicate any errors and told me to go ahead and file.  Nothing has changed in my situation, but I have never before had a Form 2210 show up in my TurboTax Return.
ruediger

Same here. This must be a software issue and hopefully TT fixes it quickly so that I can claim my refund.
GoBucks14

Same problem. Funny thing is that I posted a question on here and it was deleted...and not by me. Found that odd/interesting.
kbernstein
Returning Member

They say a TT update related to Form 2210 was released yesterday (2/16/2019), but no information as to how to activate the fix on an already-broken return.
arh6063

The purported TT update related to Form 2210 released yesterday (2/16/2019) doesn't repair the Online version of TT  :>(
ruediger

I downloaded the update before I filed my return yesterday. Until the update arrived I had no form 2210 in my documents (which was correct since I don't owe any taxes and made more than sufficient quarterly payments). Only after the update the infamous form 2210 showed up and when I submitted the return the IRS rejected it due to an issue with the form 2210. TT needs to fix this issue urgently.
kbernstein
Returning Member

And I went into Federal Taxes/Other Tax Situations/underpayment penalties in the hopes that the fix would kick in by doing that complete dialogue.    I re-submitted my tax return and got the exact same error back:  F2210-003 - If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenaltyInd' is checked, then [WaiverExplanationStatement] must be attached to Form 2210.  What is going on?  If this is not fixed soon, we will have no choice but to remove the offending form and submit our returns on paper.  By the way, my incorrect form showed up on 1/27/2019 -- after I entered some 1099's and estimated taxes paid.
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

See if any of these steps will help:

1) Open your return - Click on Federal - Click on Other Tax Situations - Under Additional Tax Payments choose Underpayment Penalties - Answer the on-screen questions related to Underpayment Penalties. If you waive part of the penalty be sure to enter an explanation. If you there is no penalty, write in: "There is no penalty to be calculated".

2) When you get to the screen that says Possible Penalty Exceptions (It doesn't show up for all situations, so you might not actually see that, and therefore, this option will not apply to you), say No and on the next screen enter 2017 tax liability as zero.

3) Print and mail your return.

Here is some more info:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7191977">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7191977</a>
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kbernstein
Returning Member

Do you mean to enter "2017 tax liability" not "2018"?  This is similar to what I did and got rejected.  You say print and mail my return -- are you saying I cannot file this TurboTax return electronically?
kbernstein
Returning Member

I tried to follow the instructions you (TurboTaxKK) cited under reply #7191977.  For the desktop version, which I am running, it gives directions for a situation in which a penalty is present.  I went through the Underpayment Penalties dialogue and it said NO PENALTY IS DUE.  So that post does not help!  Again, is TurboTax forcing all of us to submit our returns on paper??  It is my understanding that the "85% waiver" applies to everyone, so why aren't those words sufficient, penalty or not?  Or is TT not submitting our electronic returns correctly?
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

There is an issue that TT is working on. It seems that it may be fixed by 02/22. So if what I wrote above doesn't help, you can wait till the fix comes out.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ruediger

I followed the instructions as well. The end result is the same form 2210 that I had submitted earlier to the IRS and resulted in a rejection. So these instructions don't help. I hope the fix can be done faster than by 2/22.
b12

I am stuck, too. Rejected twice despite that TT says no errors and I can't figure any way to change 2210 to comply. I don't owe a penalty and have a significant refund due. Hope TT fixes this mess quickly!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies