turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

FansbeGood-
Returning Member

I have moved so the address on my W2 and my documents does not match my current address, which one should I use?

Can I give you my new address so my W2s can come to my new address?

I have moved so the address on my W2 and my documents does not match my current address, which one should I use?

@FansbeGood- Your employer issues the W-2 to you.   Give your new address to your employer.   TurboTax does not get your W-2 for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
blackboi

[Address Removed]

@blackboi This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

When you prepare your tax return you will need to enter your current address in My Info so that the IRS has the correct address to use in case they have to mail anything to you.   Employers have until the end of January to issue your W-2's so make sure your employers have the correct address for you too.  But people move all the time, so it is not a big deal if the address on your W-2 does not match your current mailing address.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
champ121

I am in the same state TX but I did move to a different address, but my W2 shows previous address when filing using turbo tax it pulls the information from the W2 so do I need to add the current address or just leave it as it is on the W2 .? Thanks in advance

@champ121 Leave your W-2 alone.   When you prepare your tax return make sure you are using the current mailing address in My Info so that the IRS has your address if they mail you a letter or a check.  (Make sure you give the new address to your employer for any future documents from that employer).

I have a similar issue: 

I resided in NJ for only 2 weeks and then moved to Manhattan. But i requested change in address only few days ago with my employer. So my W2 is issued to the NJ address for over 3.5 months while I have been residing in Manhattan. Do I need to pay both NJ and NY Tax? Thanks. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Enter the W-2 as it was reported. 

When you do your state returns, be sure to allocate the proper amount of income to the proper state. 

Do your New Jersey Part-year resident return first and allocate the 2 weeks of income earned while living there. 

Next do your Part-year resident New York return and allocate the income earned when living in New York. 

You should be taxed on 2 weeks of income and get a refund from New Jersey for the extra tax withheld. 

You should be taxed on the remaining income on your New York return and will likely owe. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. A follow to that. My employer is based in NY. So the employer has only been paying NY tax. Just to clarify do I pay 3.5 months of NJ state tax and then seek for refund? My understanding is that i start paying NY tax as soon my lease started post my 2 week stay in NJ. Thanks. 

Just to clarify, why would you pay 3.5 months of N.J. state taxes in the 1st place? Did or didn't your employer withhold any taxes in NJ for that pay period in the first place?  From what you are telling me now, it seems like he didn't withhold any NJ tax so where does the 3.5 months come into play?  

Once again, you will be paying two weeks worth of tax for the amount of time spent in NJ as a part time resident and the remaining time spent in NY as a part time resident. Any additional withholding tax that your employer took from you as a NY resident which in your case would be two weeks will come back to you as an additional  refund or a reduction in your total tax liability for NY.  

Whatever the calculation is for the state of NJ, namely the two weeks that you resided there, is what it is. If there indeed was 3.5 months worth of NJ withholding tax, then once again come back to you as an additional refund or as a reduction in your total tax liability for NJ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies