Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have loss on my k1. can I deduct the loss from my w2 income and other investment income? if so, where should i deduct the loss?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmandaR1

I have loss on my k1. can I deduct the loss from my w2 income and other investment income? if so, where should i deduct the loss?

You should enter the schedule K-1 into the software and it will handle all of the calculations for your return. As far as if a loss is deductible, it depends on the type of activity it's from. Passive losses will only offset other passive income, like investment income.

If it's considered self-employment loss and you actively participate in the business, then it may offset other earned income. In either case, the software will handle it and you should enter everything exactly as reported on your schedule K-1. 

To enter: Income >>> If asked, choose to get to the full listing of options >>>  Scroll down to Business Income and Estate/Trust Income >>> Click Edit next to schedule K-1

avinewman

Hmm... I have a reported loss from a K-1 in which I was a General Partner (not a Limited Partner) but the software did not apply this loss against my W-2. Why might this be?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies