Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olgadboro
Returning Member

I have form 8809 to extend file on w2, but what form do I submit to request an extension for my w3 form?

I am an employer providing social security and medicare for a household employee.  Need to file w3 to SSA however I need an extension of 30 days. what form do I send IRS to request this extension, to file W3
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I have form 8809 to extend file on w2, but what form do I submit to request an extension for my w3 form?

This form will also extend your W3 filing date, they both go together at the same time to the Social Security Administration. Be sure to get it in the mail immediately to receive approval, to the address on the form.  You may have the forms ready and complete before the actual approval is received because it is a maximum of 30 day.  

• Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Ogden, UT 84201-0209 

Due date for filing with SSA. The due date for filing 2017 Forms W-2, W-2AS, W-2CM, W-2GU, W-2VI, W-3, and W-3SS with the SSA is January 31, 2018, whether you file using paper forms or electronically. 

Extensions of time to file. Extensions of time to file Form W-2 with the SSA are no longer automatic. You may request one 30-day extension to file Form W-2 by submitting a complete application on Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns, including a detailed explanation of why you need additional time and signed under penalties of perjury. The IRS will only grant the extension in extraordinary circumstances or catastrophe. See Extension of time to file Forms W-2 with the SSA for more information. 

This does not affect extensions of time to furnish Forms W-2 to employees. See Extension of time to furnish Forms W-2 to employees for more information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

This form will also extend your W3 filing date, they both go together at the same time to the Social Security Administration. Be sure to get it in the mail immediately to receive approval, to the address on the form.  You may have the forms ready and complete before the actual approval is received because it is a maximum of 30 day.  

• Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Ogden, UT 84201-0209 

Due date for filing with SSA. The due date for filing 2017 Forms W-2, W-2AS, W-2CM, W-2GU, W-2VI, W-3, and W-3SS with the SSA is January 31, 2018, whether you file using paper forms or electronically. 

Extensions of time to file. Extensions of time to file Form W-2 with the SSA are no longer automatic. You may request one 30-day extension to file Form W-2 by submitting a complete application on Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns, including a detailed explanation of why you need additional time and signed under penalties of perjury. The IRS will only grant the extension in extraordinary circumstances or catastrophe. See Extension of time to file Forms W-2 with the SSA for more information. 

This does not affect extensions of time to furnish Forms W-2 to employees. See Extension of time to furnish Forms W-2 to employees for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies