Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have form 8332 to claim my dependent; do I mail this to the IRS and State and am I still eligible for rapid refund or electronic pay?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

I have form 8332 to claim my dependent; do I mail this to the IRS and State and am I still eligible for rapid refund or electronic pay?

do they have to receive the signed form before I get my tax return or will that still be done electronically

Has the Custodial parent signed it?

If you are filing your return electronically, you must file Form 8332 with Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return. If you are filing your tax return using an online provider, mail Form 8453 to the IRS within 3 business days after you have received acknowledgement from your intermediate service provider and/or transmitter that the IRS has accepted your electronically filed tax return. 

Mail Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 Receipt and Control Branch Austin, TX 73344-0254

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf

am I still eligible for the rapid electronic refund or do they have to receive the signed form before I get my tax return

Where do I send my 8332 form too

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Form 8332 is generally attached to the claimant's tax return.

To complete Form 8332 in Turbo Tax, type revocation of release of claim to exemption for child of divorced or separated parents in the search box and choose Jump To.

Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the return.

Please see these links for more information on the form:  What is Form 8332?   Accessing Form 8332 in Turbo Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sdoran

Thanks! 

1.  Will Turbotax then adjust to include the Child Tax Credit?

I am only getting the 'Other Dependent Tax Credit' now which is $3500 when I believe I should be getting the CTC for 7 children.  They did not live with me for 6 months out of the year, but my wife will fill out the 8332 form..

Thanks,

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

No, The Form 8332 can't be e-filed. The non-custodial parent must signed the form and mail it to the IRS along with the transmittal Form 8453 within 3 business days. The 1040 income tax return can still be e-filed.

The form 8332 is used by the custodial parent for the following reasons:

1. Release a claim to exemption for the child to non-custodial parent.
  2. Revoke a previous Form 8332. 
dmageo

Will I still receive my refund quick or will it take longer 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@dmageo Under normal circumstances for tax returns that are printed and mailed in, the IRS asks you wait 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at  the IRS Where's My Refund? site. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, it normally takes about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.

Please see the links below for more information:

dmageo

I e-file my return but I had to mail in forms 83332 and 8453

vata8000

I don’t remember mailing form 8332 when I filed in June, 2020. 
coukd that be why my return is still processing  and I still haven’t recurved my refund? Is it too late to mail that now to allow my return to be processed? 

If you need to file Form 8332 Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent, it could be the cause of your return still being in the state of process.  Once you have already filed your return, you cannot mail the form in separately.  

You can check the reason for the delay through your IRS account.

You can check the status of your return not only through TurboTax, but also through the IRS website using your IRS Online Account.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You can view:

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any

You can also:

• Make a payment online
  • See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
  • Access your tax records via Get Transcript

Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

@vata8000

vata8000

I just e-filed my 2020 tax return. So I am to wait until I get confirmation that my return was accepted by the IRS, and then the other parent should mail forms 8332 and 8453 together? 

The custodial parent is the "filer" of the 8332. They would fill out this form IF 1) they are releasing their claim to the child to the noncustodial parent in a given tax year, OR 2) to revoke any prior/future release of their claim to the child for tax purposes. If you are the noncustodial parent who is claiming the child for 2020, the custodial parent (assuming this is who you are referring to when you say "the other parent") would be the one to fill this out and file with their return. Then, once the IRS receives both returns and verifies that the custodial parent has, in fact, released their claim, then return will be processed. In past, there have been many instances where the noncustodial parents' return has been processed without this electronic verification, however, when the custodial parent files - and there is no 8332 release of claim filed along with it, a letter would go out to both parties indicating this along with instructions to follow to correct the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies