turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

standu

I have been the sole support of my adult daughter for the last 9 months of 2016. Can I deduct her as dependent? Are there any other restrictions other than support?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I have been the sole support of my adult daughter for the last 9 months of 2016. Can I deduct her as dependent? Are there any other restrictions other than support?

Yes, there are additional tests other than the "support test." There are two sets of rules to qualify your daughter as a dependent, but when you add her to TurboTax under the Personal Info tab, the software will ask all of the relevant questions to determine if you qualify. 

As a qualifying child, your daughter meets the relationship test and would need to also:

1. Be under age 19 (or 24 and a student) as of 12/31/16
  2. Not have provided more than half of her own support 
  3. Have lived with you for more than half the year

As a qualifying relative, your daughter would have to have lived with you all year, not earned more than the personal exemption amount of $4,050 and you'd need to have provided more than 50% of her support, but the age no longer matters under these rules. 

Also, under both sets of rules, she would also need to not have filed a join return with a spouse, unless filed only for a refund, and be a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. You can review these rules at the following FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

To try adding your daughter to the software and you'll be able to review all of these questions. To do so:

1. Login and click Take me to my return
  2. Select the Personal Info tab and you'll be on a summary screen of your info, if you've already started your return.
  3. If your daughter's already been added to the software, you'll see her name listed. Look at the Status line, to see if she's qualified as a Dependent. If you want to try reviewing the questions again, you can Delete her from this screen and then add her back.
  4. Scroll down and click + Add a dependent to add her to the software. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

Yes, there are additional tests other than the "support test." There are two sets of rules to qualify your daughter as a dependent, but when you add her to TurboTax under the Personal Info tab, the software will ask all of the relevant questions to determine if you qualify. 

As a qualifying child, your daughter meets the relationship test and would need to also:

1. Be under age 19 (or 24 and a student) as of 12/31/16
  2. Not have provided more than half of her own support 
  3. Have lived with you for more than half the year

As a qualifying relative, your daughter would have to have lived with you all year, not earned more than the personal exemption amount of $4,050 and you'd need to have provided more than 50% of her support, but the age no longer matters under these rules. 

Also, under both sets of rules, she would also need to not have filed a join return with a spouse, unless filed only for a refund, and be a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. You can review these rules at the following FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

To try adding your daughter to the software and you'll be able to review all of these questions. To do so:

1. Login and click Take me to my return
  2. Select the Personal Info tab and you'll be on a summary screen of your info, if you've already started your return.
  3. If your daughter's already been added to the software, you'll see her name listed. Look at the Status line, to see if she's qualified as a Dependent. If you want to try reviewing the questions again, you can Delete her from this screen and then add her back.
  4. Scroll down and click + Add a dependent to add her to the software. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies