turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gaelle3838
Returning Member

I have been receiving checks for Child Tax credit

Hello,

I have been receiving checks for Child Tax credit since July and I'm wondering how it will translate when I'll prepare my taxes. Would that be automatically deducted?

Thanks!

Gaelle

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes----the 2021 software will not be released until sometime in November so we do not know yet how they will set up the screens for the child tax credit.   But you can definitely expect questions to be asked about receiving the monthly payments, so be eagle-eyed for them when you do your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You will reconcile those payments on your 2021 tax return. 

If you began to receive the monthly child tax credit payments in July, by the end of 2021 you will have received half of the 2021 child tax credit in advance.   The other half will be included as a refundable amount on your 2021 tax return.

For example---if you have one child 6 or older you are now getting $250 per month--by December that is $1500.  The total amount of the CTC for the child is $3000----so you will still get $1500 as a credit on your 2021 return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/what-are-the-new-child-tax-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Gaelle3838
Returning Member

Ok perfect, will the advance payment be on my page automatically or will I receive a form and I'll have to manually add it?

Thank you so much!

Gaelle

Not sure what you mean by "be on the page automatically"----TurboTax has no involvement in those payments so TT will not know if you received the child tax credit payments unless you tell the software that you received them.   When you prepare your 2021 tax return be very careful to answer any quesitons about the CTC  correctly.

Gaelle3838
Returning Member

Ok you responded to my question. I'm guessing that Turbo Tax will ask at some point: have you receive advance Child Tax credit and I will have to add the sum.

Thank you!

Gaelle

Yes----the 2021 software will not be released until sometime in November so we do not know yet how they will set up the screens for the child tax credit.   But you can definitely expect questions to be asked about receiving the monthly payments, so be eagle-eyed for them when you do your return.

The IRS will send you a form with the amount you received and you will enter that amount into TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies