turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kirkdiep

I have 28,500 in interest and taxes (15/13) and my taxes due dropped 1,100. Years previous that was 3k+, why the change? I see no explanation on Turbo Tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 28,500 in interest and taxes (15/13) and my taxes due dropped 1,100. Years previous that was 3k+, why the change? I see no explanation on Turbo Tax.

The difference between the Std Deduction and your deductions is lower this year since the Fed std deduction was raised..

Example IF you were married(no kids) and had 28,500 itemized deductions both years.   then in 2017 your Std deductions plus personal exemptions was ~$21,000 and putting in itemized showed a refund drop for the ~7,500 income drop.  But for 2018, the Std ded is 24,000 so the the itemized deduction change is only ~3500.

Then, too, your "taxes" deduction is capped  $10,000.  You can't get a  $13,000 deduction for state/local income taxes +Real estate taxes

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The difference between the Std Deduction and your deductions is lower this year since the Fed std deduction was raised..

Example IF you were married(no kids) and had 28,500 itemized deductions both years.   then in 2017 your Std deductions plus personal exemptions was ~$21,000 and putting in itemized showed a refund drop for the ~7,500 income drop.  But for 2018, the Std ded is 24,000 so the the itemized deduction change is only ~3500.

Then, too, your "taxes" deduction is capped  $10,000.  You can't get a  $13,000 deduction for state/local income taxes +Real estate taxes

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies