turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to import a K-1 txf file and merge it with carryforward information from last year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

How to import a K-1 txf file and merge it with carryforward information from last year

My work-around is to copy the section A1a(b) and B1a(b) suspended loss carryover from the older form to the newer form. Also copy the capital account Part II, if you like. Then delete the older form. The new one is first in the forms list.

In prior years, the TXF info would combine with the remembered K-1. For 2016, unfortunately, I get a duplicate as I expect you do. The new file has the downloaded data, and the old one has the carryovers.

It would be nice if somebody has a better answer.

I later had 2 TXF files import and merge with the existing k1 including carryovers. Did they fix, or was there something different in the downloads? I don't know.
warrenpv

Same problem with 2017

I had one with this problem for 2017 and others that carried the carryovers without having to work around.

I think I stumbled onto the solution here.  The problem is you have to know the solution before you cause the problem!  This is what worked for me:

DO NOT VISIT THE K-1 SECTION OF THE INTERVIEW UNTIL YOU HAVE **IMPORTED** THE TXF FILES!

Yes, if you import the .txf file before you even give TurboTax the chance to ask you if you want to deal with your K-1's, TurboTax appears to correctly import the .txf file, then later merge the carry-over amounts from the prior years correctly.

I have always delayed dealing with the K-1's until the very end.  DON'T!  Because this year I happened to visit just 1 K-1 prior to importing several, and that was the only K-1 I had to copy numbers to do a manual merge.  My other 2 appear to have worked perfectly.

Now, if we could just get TurboTax staff to insert a question to the user prior to reaching that section of the interview "Have you already imported your K-1's?".  

I have the same issue for my 2022 return. I even used the same file name as 2021 and that did NOT work. Does TurboTax have any response???

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on a thread from 2 years ago. What is the error you received when you tried to import? 

If you would like immediate assistance, please click here to contact us by phone. @Markttax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have restarted TurboTax 3 times from scratch trying to figure this out.  I have 2 K-1s for companies I bought in 2022 (or before) and sold in 2023.  In both cases I have tried importing the K-1s, as well as my brokerage statements, prior to entering any data (other than identity information, filing status and dependents).  When I get down to the K-1 section, I have FOUR K-1s, the two for 2023 I just downloaded, and 2 separate ones carrying over information from last year.  Is the only answer to avoid importing K-1 data if you have held that security in multiple years?  It does not appear TurboTax is doing anything to fix the problems with K-1s.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies