Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got married 2yrs ago &file jointly. on my paycheck I am claiming 0 (which is fine) but marriage status is "single". Should I change it so I'm getting the proper amount?

Hi! I got married two years ago and file jointly with my husband. I noticed on my paycheck though it says I am claiming 0 (which is fine) but my marriage status is "single" rather than married. My work says it doesn't have any affect on how much they pay me but a friend who got married and divorced noticed her paycheck go up and then down again and that was the only thing she changed with her info. 

Do I need to change this so I'm getting the proper amount? It should not change how much I'm getting back at the end of the year right? 

Ps: when we got married I noticed my husbands refund portion go up but mine remained the same. Is this why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I got married 2yrs ago &file jointly. on my paycheck I am claiming 0 (which is fine) but marriage status is "single". Should I change it so I'm getting the proper amount?

On the W-4 withholding form you can leave the withholding at Single & zero allowances even when you get married.  If you change your name then you will need to complete a new form for your employer to report that change.  If you are the lower wage earner you may need to leave the withholding as is so you don't owe when you file a joint return.  If you find your refund is larger than you would like then you can switch to the married status ... use the W-4 worksheet to calculate the correct withholding for your situation. 

What you claim at work doesn't have to match your tax return.  I'm married but claimed Single at work.  It depends.  Do you get a big refund on your tax return? If so, then you could change it to Married to have less taken out.  But then you won't get the same refund on your tax return.

Yes it will change your refund or tax due at the end of the year.

And what do you mean your husbands refund portion went up?  You mean on his paychecks?  Because on a Joint return there is not separate "refund portion" for each of you.  The Refund or tax due is based on your combined total income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies