Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

satapr13
Returning Member

I forgot to indicate that I can be claimed as a dependent on my tax return.

I already filed the 2023 tax form and received my return as well. However, my parent's tax return got rejected because they have me listed as a dependent, but I forgot to indicate as another tax payer can claim me as a dependent. 

My parent is planning on filing an extension for taxes, while I amend my tax form electronically. Once my amendment gets processed, my parent will file their taxes electronically (doing this so that they don't to file their taxes via mail). I would like to know if this is a possible solution, or if it would be better for my parent to just mail their taxes. I am aware that amendments can take a long time to get processed, thus why I am worried that this might not be the best solution. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sorry they can not efile even if you amend your return.  They will have to mail their return so they don't have to wait.  Once a ssn has been entered into the IRS you can't efile it again.

satapr13
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply! If I am understanding this correctly, my parent will have to file their taxes via mail if they have a dependent that has amended their tax return, is that correct? Also, I just wanted to make sure that my parent can mail their taxes before the deadline (April 15) regardless of the status of my tax form's amendment!

Yes, they can mail right way.  They don't have to wait.

satapr13
Returning Member

Alright, thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies