turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trj1202

Do the 79.99 deluxe charge include the state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

The TurboTax Deluxe desktop CD/Download edition includes one free state program download in the purchase price. 

There is an e-file charge of $24.99 for e-filing a state tax return using the desktop editions.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

JSinMD

This appears to be no longer the case for the 2018 version. I purchased it from Amazon and TurboTax directly and both products (TURBOTAX DELUXE TAX YEAR 2018 MAC DOWNLOAD WITH STATE) were requiring me to spend $39.99 to download the STATE. I am waiting for help from Customer Service.

This is a known problem.
If you purchase the Deluxe edition directly from the TurboTax website all the desktop editions include one free state program download (except Basic).  However, since there are no state programs to download until at least December or later you get the message to purchase the state program and that message is incorrect.  The TurboTax programmers are working to prevent that message from being presented and to notify the user that the state programs are not yet available.
JSinMD

Thank you!!

Amazon gave out the wrong Deluxe program.  We don’t know yet how it will be fixed.  You may need to download it again in the future.  We have to wait.
sherril

Thank you!

Hi Sherri, 

Thank you for your purchase. We were recently informed that customers who purchased the download version of TurboTax Deluxe with State between the dates of 10/30-11/14 mistakenly received the wrong product. If you believe you were affected, please take the following steps (1) de-install TurboTax from your computer or laptop, (2) go to your Amazon Software Library, (3) select your TurboTax 2018 Deluxe with State product and (4) reinstall it onto your computer or laptop. As you go through the product, you may see a screen that prompts you to pay for State, when you click on “Purchase State”, you will see that your first State Download is included at no charge ($0.00). We apologize for the inconvenience and will be releasing an update in the product to correct this message. 

sherril

Thank you!
sherril

I followed the above instructions and it still wants to charge me for the first state.  I use the Mac version.

After you clicked on Purchase State, what did you see?
JSinMD

Does this apply to downloaded versions purchased directly from intuit? I have this same issue and received a critical update however upon the update completed I tried to download a state and it wanted $39.99 so I cancelled. From what another user said this was a messaging error since the states are not yet ready for download.

The state software issue described by TurboTaxBettyJo only refers to the Amazon purchased download. The purchase from Intuit is a messaging issue due to the fact that the state software is not available yet. The Intuit purchase correctly includes the state program at no additional charge when it becomes available.
sherril

The download is still trying to charge me for the state software, I purchased the deluxe Mac version from Amazon.  I should of gotten a message that the state software was not available and not try to charge me 39.99.  This is after I removed the original installation and downloaded the new version as suggested.  I will wait until this is fixed.

Well sadly mistakes happen and they  get fixed ... sometimes being at the front of the line to get something may not be smart especially with income tax programs ... even when you get the program installed there will be many many updates well into January or even February as the bugs are fixed and the states come online.... Patience is virtue and needs to be exercised often.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies