Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

I filed the wrong year

hi, I just filed my taxes from 2019 but I didn't noticed that I did with a 2020 form

1 Reply
Level 15

I filed the wrong year

Yikes, did you efile it?   Was it Accepted?


You now have a problem.  You have to file each year separately.  Online is only for 2020.  You have to wait and see if your efile gets accepted.  If they reject it for something you can change it around to be only for 2020.


But if they accept it you need to wait some more for it to fully process and you get the first refund.  Then you need to Mail in an Amended 1040X return to change it to be for 2020.


You can check your efile status here


How to amend an Online return



Then if you still need to do 2019.  To do 2019 you have to buy the Desktop Download program here     

You need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it on.


If you want to file for free you can fill out the forms by hand.  Here are some basic forms.....


Here is the 2019 1040 return


or if you want bigger type use 1040SR for Seniors,


2019 Instructions

2019 EIC and Tax Tables


2019 Schedules 1-3


Don’t forget your state.  And you will have to print and mail your returns.  So be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings