Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I filed my taxes already but received the 1099-G late and didnt file it. How do i file it for this year? Or can i file it next year?

What is the 1099G for?  A state refund or unemployment or something else?  You have to report it for the year you got it.  

If it's for a state refund (amount in box 2) you might not need to enter it at all.  

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

I filed my taxes already but received the 1099-G late and didnt file it. How do i file it for this year? Or can i file it next year?

I'm getting these from unemployment. The one I received for this year was the state income tax refund. I believe I've always done standard deductions (letting them take the tax money so I wouldn't owe it later).  What about the other two forms I've received for 2020 and 2021? When looking at those two 1099-G the box number two is empty

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, as VolvoGirl points out, you don't have to report the 1099-G for your state refund (box 2), if you did not itemize the year before.

In 2020, up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation was excluded from tax so, if your box 1 is $10,200 or less and you have no tax withheld in box 4, you can just disregard the 2020 form. 

You need to amend your 2021 return (and maybe 2020 also) and add the 1099-G form. This is how to do that.

If you used TurboTax Online:

1. Log in to your account, scroll down the first page and select the year you want to amend, then select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  2. Follow the directions to start your amendment.
  3. Select Federal.
  4. Under  Wages & Income, find Unemployment.
  5. Select Add/ Edit to the right.
  6. Enter the 1099-G for the year you are amending.
  7. Keep going until you finish your amended tax return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies