Solved: I filed my oldest child but didn't claim her income. Should she file taxes herself?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motherslove79

I filed my oldest child but didn't claim her income. Should she file taxes herself?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

I filed my oldest child but didn't claim her income. Should she file taxes herself?

You wouldn't claim your child's income on your return.  She should file herself, if required:

If you are claiming your child as a dependent, she is only required to file if she had W2 income greater than $6300 or self-employment income greater than $400. (unless she wants her taxes withheld refunded).

If she does file a separate return, she should answer 'yes" to "can someone else claim you on their return?"

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KenH1

You wouldn't claim your child's income on your return.  She should file herself, if required:

If you are claiming your child as a dependent, she is only required to file if she had W2 income greater than $6300 or self-employment income greater than $400. (unless she wants her taxes withheld refunded).

If she does file a separate return, she should answer 'yes" to "can someone else claim you on their return?"

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

VolvoGirl
Level 15

The Online version is only good for 1 return. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.  To do another return you have to set up a new account and new user name and pay any fees again. So if you have more than 1 return to do it might be better to buy the Desktop program.  And Desktop has more features.

How to start another return in the Online version
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-a-second-return-in-turbotax-online">https:/...>
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings