Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tcn1974

I filed jointly with my spouse in 2022, but for complicated loan repayment reasons, wanted to file 2022 independently. Is that possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed jointly with my spouse in 2022, but for complicated loan repayment reasons, wanted to file 2022 independently. Is that possible?

When you filed the 2022 tax return as Married Filing Jointly you cannot amend the 2022 tax return to Married Filing Separately after the April 18, 2023 due date for the 2022 tax return.

Do you mean you filed your 2021 tax return as joint in 2022?  If you haven't file 2022 yet you can file separate.

Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions on Schedule A then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  And if you are in a Community Property state it can be complicated to figure out.

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the

EITC Earned Income Tax Credit

Child Care Credit

Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85`% of your Social Security becomes taxable right away even with zero other income.

See …….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-...

SWITCH FROM JOINT LAST YEAR

If you filed Joint last year you should each start a brand new account and not transfer from last year.  You can not remove a spouse or switch the order of names.  See about removing a spouse is not recommended

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family/help/how-do-i-remove-a-former-spouse-from-my-return/00/2720...

Online is only good for 1 return.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

the ONLY situation I've come across where filing separately makes FINANCIAL sense is if it relates to student loan repayments.  (the spouse with the student loans doesn't make a lot of money while the spouse without student loans makes a lot of money ...... student loan payments will be lower if filing MFS!).

but as other have stated, once you file Joint and the filing deadline passes, you can't amend to MFS.  

by chance did you file an extension PRIOR TO filing your Joint Tax return - in that case you could amend through Oct 15/ 

tcn1974

Thank you TurboTax community.  You all represent an incredible wealth of knowledge.   The scenario is what NCPerson describes: My wife has more than $500K debt from medical school and now makes about $250k working part-time as a radiologist.   I make about 10 times her current salary.  She's trying to qualify for the Federal Loan Forgiveness Program after a series of payments: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.

Thank you again, everyone!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies