turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is blue cross blue shield health insurance a private insurance? I am not sure what to say when I am asked for the type of health insurance I have.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is blue cross blue shield health insurance a private insurance? I am not sure what to say when I am asked for the type of health insurance I have.

It is private insurance.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

It is private insurance.

I have blue cross through my husbands job so I would assume it depends on if you have it and are paying a premium or not.

what does it mean to pay a premium?
micah1131

are you asking in reference to when it ask if it's Medicaid Medicare etc etc.

yes
micah1131

If your paying a premium it's Medicare
If your not its Medicaid

I did not have medicaid or medicare for sure.
micah1131

What are the choices given to you again. I forgot because I already filed my taxes.
micah1131

Because I know blue cross has both a Medicare and Medicaid program. Though it's a private health insurance, I'm sure if your paying it falls under Medicare. But just to be sure like I said, what are the choice they give you to choose from.

Options are:
1. I have a private insurance
2. I have something else
micah1131

I would select a private insurance and see what it leads you into, if it doesn't sound like anything related to your insurance I would file it under Medicare, but if you feel that is sketchy I would call the IRS, and though you will be on hold for a while; explain to them and tell them the situation and ask them what you should file under, or call blue cross and ask them.
micah1131

Because as I said before, I'm pretty sure if your paying a premium even though it's a private insurance it should fall under Medicare, and if your not it falls under Medicaid. But once again if you feel that might be a bit sketchy, your best bet would be to call blue cross or the IRS and ask.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies