turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not get my stimulus money cause I was claimed on someones tax return in 2019 if knowone claims me on there 2020 tax return will I recieve both stimulus checks that I didnt get ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I did not get my stimulus money cause I was claimed on someones tax return in 2019 if knowone claims me on there 2020 tax return will I recieve both stimulus checks that I didnt get ?

Yes.  If you file a 2020 tax return and you are not claimed on someone else's 2020 tax return, then you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  The Recovery Rebate Credit amount is equal to the amounts you would have received in stimulus rounds one and/or two.

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is not quite correct. There is a question in TurboTax that asks, “can you be claimed as a dependent by another person this year?“ If you answer “yes“, you are disqualified from the stimulus payment. If you can be claimed as a dependent, you must answer yes, even if the other person will not actually claim you. To answer “no” when you can be claimed, so that you can get the stimulus rebate, is tax fraud, and if the IRS audits you, you will be required to repay the stimulus with interest and a penalty.

The rules to see if you qualify to be claimed as a dependent by someone else are complicated, but there are three general cases that will fit most people.

You can be claimed as a dependent by your parents if you live at home more than half the year, are under age 19, and don’t provide more than half your own financial support.

You can be claimed as a dependent by your parents if you are under age 24, live at home more than half the year, do not provide more than half your own support, and are a full-time student. Most college students are understood to live at home because college is considered a temporary absence.

You can be claimed as a dependent by any person who pays more than half your financial support if you have less than $4300 of taxable earnings. If that person is not your parents or a brother or sister, then you must also live in their home the entire year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies