turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'd like to know why my taxes cannot be e-filed

It's not giving me a reason why my taxes cannot be e-filed
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This is a user to user forum.  No one can see your return to find out why you cannot e-file.  The following gives some reasons why you would not be able to e-file.

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do

Returns can't be e-filed if they:

Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control (we'll let you know if your non- or part-year resident return must be paper-filed).

In addition, certain returns keep getting rejected because somebody already claimed a dependent on the return or because of incorrect information in the IRS database. In these cases, there's really nothing you can do to "fix" your return so you can e-file it. For this year at least, you'll need to file a paper return instead.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is a user to user forum.  No one can see your return to find out why you cannot e-file.  The following gives some reasons why you would not be able to e-file.

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do

Returns can't be e-filed if they:

Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control (we'll let you know if your non- or part-year resident return must be paper-filed).

In addition, certain returns keep getting rejected because somebody already claimed a dependent on the return or because of incorrect information in the IRS database. In these cases, there's really nothing you can do to "fix" your return so you can e-file it. For this year at least, you'll need to file a paper return instead.

I ended up having to delete my state return re add it and then pay $40 to get it to file. I do not know why this happened as it has never happened before. This is my 3rd year using turbotax and the first time I had to pay to file not to mention I had to pay $40 additional dollars because I have a retirement plan.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@Sheena19891

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies