turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can find my Turbo Tax 2019 file file on my computer. I was all done except for medical and donations!

I was almost done with my 2019 taxes on Turbo Tax.   Now I can't find the work I have done on my computer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I can find my Turbo Tax 2019 file file on my computer. I was all done except for medical and donations!

You say you can find your TurboTax 2019 file on your computer....Is that a PDF file or a TAX file.   If you have the tax file, you can open it using the Desktop software.   

After launching the TurboTax program, you can either:

• Click Continue under the return you want to open, or
  • Select Open Tax Return from the File menu (Windows) or TurboTax menu (Mac), browse to the location of your .tax or tax data file (not the PDF), select it, and then click Open.

Please note that you'll need to use the same tax-year TurboTax program to open your tax file. For example, use TurboTax 2019 to open your 2019 return, not your 2018 or 2017 return.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I meant that I CAN'T find the work I did on Turbo Tax on my computer.  I was almost done!

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2019, etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2019".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Try this......start the program.  Then go up to File-Open and seep if it finds your file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies