turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

anon-js

Reject reason: F2441-022 - If filing status of the return is Married filing separately and Form 2441 is present in the return, then 'EligibilityRequirementMetInd'

Ugh. This is horrible.  I was reading the turnaround time for mailed in returns is 6 to 8 weeks.  UGH.
Anon-19

Reject reason: F2441-022 - If filing status of the return is Married filing separately and Form 2441 is present in the return, then 'EligibilityRequirementMetInd'

Has anyone received a refund from Turbotax for having to send via regular mail?

I am certainly going to request one if I end up having to file by mail. I just attempted to efile again. I’m expecting it to be rejected a third time.
anon-js

Me too.  
DanaMarc103
Returning Member

@TurboTaxCheriS
@Opus 17

We are having the same issues, with continuous rejections even after 17-March (per a recommendation made in an earlier rejection error message to try again after that date).  My wife spoke to someone on the phone today who directed her to this question, though it doesn't seem to be resolved according to the many of the posters.  We have the PC download / home and business.

We are MFS because it makes financial sense due to my wife's student loan payments.  
I have an amount in W-2 box 10 ($2500) for an FSA toward our child dependent's daycare. My wife did not have an FSA.
My wife did not claim, nor did she mention, our dependent on her (already-accepted) returns (she did answer the custody question YES, though -- does she have to file an amended return?).

It seems to me that form 2441 should be present (and it is) because of the amount in W-2 box 10.  I don't want to delete it simply to have the return accepted.  I don't meet the eligibility criteria for the check-box, so it is un-checked.  Again, I believe this to be correct.
On form 2441, parts I and III are completed.  Lines 27-31 are blank ***because we are NOT claiming the child credit,*** nor do we intend to.
However, form 2441 part II line 2 does have our dependent's name and the total cost of her daycare for 2018 and it also does have box 8 checked.  It does not appear that I can modify those fields.
Form 2441 line 25 is 2500.

Does the amount of the FSA need to be entered on form 2441 line 14 (per another commenter, it does).

More info related to questions asked of other posters:
- Form 1040 line 12a is $2000.
- Schedule 1 line 21 is blank.
- Schedule 3 is not one of the forms in my return.

So our questions are:
- Do I need to enter the amount of the FSA on form 2441 line 14 (per another commenter)?
- How do I know that my taxes are correct in order to print and file by mail?  TurboTax doesn't seem to be capturing this situation correctly.  

Thanks for any help.

My issue now is with Turbo Tax. Over 2 months they knew of this issue. Did not inform us when we started and proceeded to take our money knowing this issue.  Big reason i use them is for EFILE and it does not work.  Anyone feel the same way.  I want to look into actions against them
Anon-19

^Agreed.  TurboTax should have made users aware of this issue at the get-go so that we could choose to use another tax preparation service.  

I’m still having the same issue. Does anyone know if we could e-file through another service and just upload the TurboTax file?

I came across this page on the irs site and it says they implemented a solution effective on March 17. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-schema/ty2018_known_issues_and_solutions.xlsx">https://www.irs.gov/pub/i...>
chenss7

Based on this thread, my understanding is that this isn't a TurboTax issue, but an IRS issue. On the IRS Known Issues page (<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-schema/ty2018_known_issues_and_solutions.xlsx">https://www.irs.gov/pub/i...>), line 146 indicates that the IRS is aware of this problem, and the solution was supposed to be implemented on March 17, 2019, but that clearly hasn't happened yet.

This is super frustrating. Has anyone successfully filed by mail yet? I am going to do that this week, but am worried of other problems.

If you file by mail do you check the box or leave it blank how most of us on this page we don’t meet the credit but we do meet the exclusion?
jaltmeier

I've never had a problem with TurboTax before. Even last year when my wife and I decided to file separately because of her student loans, I noticed TurboTax was more confusing and less intuitive than when we filed jointly. But I was still able to make my way through it and efile.

But this year was awful! In mid February, I tried efiling my return, but got the same message as everyone else to wait until March 17. I called TurboTax and the rep had absolutely no idea why I was getting the message. He didnt know if it was a TurboTax glitch, an IRS glitch, or a problem with my return. His advice was to just follow the directions of the error message and file again on March 17. So I took his advice and waited. I also decided to hold off on filing my wife's return in case I had to change something on my return that impacted her.

So I waited until March 17 and filed again. I was rejected again and got the same error message. So I called TurboTax a second time. And again the rep had no idea what the message was about. Her advice was to wait one more day and try again.

So I waited until the next day, March 18, and tried again. Again I was rejected and got the error message that the issue will be resolved on March 17. So I called Turbo Tax again and spoke with three different reps over the course of 2+ hours. None of them had any idea what the problem was or how to resolve it. The advice I got was to wait another couple of days and try again.

So I waited until March 21 and tried again. Again I was rejected. But this time the message said that there was no estimated resolution date and that I could either wait another couple days and try again or just print out the return and mail it.

I have had enough of this so I just printed out the return and mailed it. I didnt change anything or remove Form 2441. I am not claiming any child credit, but I do have a child care FSA amount on my W2 so I need Form 2441. (By the way, after we decided to mail my return, we pushed the button to efile my wife's return. That one was accepted. Go figure. We owed the IRS money on that return.)

Even if this is a glitch on the IRS side, this was a disgrace on Turbo Tax for not communicating what the issue is or what to do. The funny thing is that after every rejected return, I got an automated email from TurboTax saying not to worry and that they will walk me through correcting the issue every step of the way.

Anyway, I just put my return in the mailbox. I'll reply again when and if I get an update from the IRS. I have no idea how to find out if the IRS received my mailed return or what to do if they reject the mailed return.

Hugely disappointed in the TurboTax response to this issue.

Disappointed indeed!  I have always filed my taxed first as I always get a refund and then use the money to pay my spouses taxes as he typically owes money.  This continued error now makes that impossible.
anon-js

See this reply above by @DG2018 ...

I researched a bit on the link that was previously posted about this being a known IRS issue and it appears that it is a known IRS issue: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/known-issues-and-solutions">https://www.irs.gov/e-file-provider...>

If you look at the known issues for 2018 you will see the issues that were occurring for MFS using form 2441 due to what amounts to a programming error in how to read the form when it is e-filed with the IRS.  You will also see that the solution was supposed to be pushed on March 17, 2019.  

I did call TurboTax on March 18, 2019, and I was told wait a couple days because with it being Sunday sometimes it takes time to roll out the changes, however, when I researched more on the IRS website about the MeF system or Modernized eFile, I learned that it is apparently subject to a routine system maintenance every Sunday from 1:00AM to 7:00AM - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.marketingexpress.irs.gov/systems-status/system-status-mef/modernized-efile-mef-operation...>

So, maybe they were overzealous in their estimate that the fix would be out by March 17, 2019, and the fix is going to roll out this Sunday, March 24th? I suppose at this point we can only hope.  I think that TurboTax cannot tell us because the IRS has not issued any releases or updated their Known Issues spreadsheet with a knew date for a solution to the coding error.  

What I would not do is to delete the form.  The form is most certainly correct because so long as you are married filing separately, for what seems like the reason most are on this board, IDR plan calculations, and appropriately setting aside up to the $2,500 limit, claiming the dependent, and using the money toward dependent care, then that $2,500 is not taxable.  By not filing form 2441 you would likely be subject to tax on that $2,500 that you otherwise would not have to pay.

Hopefully by March 24th after 7:00AM we can all e-File......

opbak1

Seems like a turbo tax issue. I bit the bullet and submitted using HR block. No issues, same refund.  Federal accepted.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies