turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought my tax software last year & filed returns. I now have a new computer due virus issue. Can I download last year's tax software & get my data from backup?

I have carried forward info so would like to have 2019 software and files in my new computer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

I bought my tax software last year & filed returns. I now have a new computer due virus issue. Can I download last year's tax software & get my data from backup?

If you have the product key associated with your account or maybe an older email that has that information. If you do not have this information, please contact customer support here for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@viji-sethuraman-   The first paragraph might not apply to you if your old computer crashed.  You only need the file ending in .tax2019 to transfer into 2020.

For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2016, .tax2017, .tax2018, .tax2019 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer or backup for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

You reinstall the federal program -> run update -> download the state program -> run update. Then make sure the .tax20yy file is moved to new computer. Do not Open that file from the transfer medium.

You can't transfer the programs. They have to be installed from the CD or Download.

You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.

Thank you to all who replied.  I got the software reinstalled, after speaking to support. All good now!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies