Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought deluxe without state filing by mistake, can I upgrade it to include state tax filing? How much does it cost to upgrade?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought deluxe without state filing by mistake, can I upgrade it to include state tax filing? How much does it cost to upgrade?

@ lindajlchen  asked:  "I bought deluxe without state filing by mistake, can I upgrade it to include state tax filing? How much does it cost to upgrade?"

Deluxe comes in 2 versions--a combo version that can prepare Federal returns and state returns (of 1 included state program), and a version that is Federal-only, mainly for users in states without state income tax.

If you bought the Federal-only version with no state program, you can either purchase an add-on state for $45 from within the software, or if you find it cheaper, you could get a refund for the Federal-only version then buy the combo version.  TurboTax has an unconditional 60-day moneyback guarantee no matter where you bought it.  Some retailers like Costco will also often provide a refund.

If you go the latter route with a new product, if you purchase outside of TurboTax, be sure it is a legitimate authorized retailer.   There are many scam sites on the Internet.

FAQ:  TurboTax authorized retailers

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/where-can-i-buy-the-turbotax-software/01/2...

In addition, there is a $25 fee to efile the state return.  There is no state efile fee for New York state, and no fee to print and mail the state return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

@ lindajlchen  asked:  "I bought deluxe without state filing by mistake, can I upgrade it to include state tax filing? How much does it cost to upgrade?"

Deluxe comes in 2 versions--a combo version that can prepare Federal returns and state returns (of 1 included state program), and a version that is Federal-only, mainly for users in states without state income tax.

If you bought the Federal-only version with no state program, you can either purchase an add-on state for $45 from within the software, or if you find it cheaper, you could get a refund for the Federal-only version then buy the combo version.  TurboTax has an unconditional 60-day moneyback guarantee no matter where you bought it.  Some retailers like Costco will also often provide a refund.

If you go the latter route with a new product, if you purchase outside of TurboTax, be sure it is a legitimate authorized retailer.   There are many scam sites on the Internet.

FAQ:  TurboTax authorized retailers

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/where-can-i-buy-the-turbotax-software/01/2...

In addition, there is a $25 fee to efile the state return.  There is no state efile fee for New York state, and no fee to print and mail the state return.

Thank you for your answer.

1) Do I need to uninstall the older version (federal only) if I decide to return it, and buy and install the newer version which includes state tax? 

2) Can I open the federal tax file saved from the older version in the newer deluxe software and continue with federal tax filing and state tax? 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist you with your software questions.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@lindajlchen wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

1) Do I need to uninstall the older version (federal only) if I decide to return it, and buy and install the newer version which includes state tax? 

2) Can I open the federal tax file saved from the older version in the newer deluxe software and continue with federal tax filing and state tax? 

As @MichelleLO  mentioned above, you may wish to speak to Customer Support first.   You might get lucky, and they might offer to just push you the state download if they feel sorry for you.  

But to answer your 2 questions:

1) Yes, you would have to uninstall the first version.  You cannot have 2 personal tax products of the same year on the same computer.  If you tried, you'd probably get a popup saying there is already a 2021 personal tax product installed.

2) Yes, you can open the *.tax2021 data file in the Deluxe Fed & State to keep working on it without starting over.

NOTE:  Uninstalling "shouldn't" affect the *.tax2021 data file, since in Windows, the default location for tax data files is the \Documents\TurboTax folder, which "should" be safe from the uninstall process.   But it's probably a good idea to make a backup copy of it somewhere, like another safe folder, a USB thumb drive, or other external storage--just in case.    In fact, I usually make a backup copy of the data file each time I work on my return, since I have seen occasional horror stories in this user forum about lost/disappearing/corrupt data files, etc.

Strangely enough! I uninstalled the older version (Federal only) and installed the new version (with state returns) I bought from Amazon. I opened the saved file and continued to state (CA) return, the software asked me to pay $45 for the state return. 

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

@ lindajlchen wrote:

Strangely enough! I uninstalled the older version (Federal only) and installed the new version (with state returns) I bought from Amazon. I opened the saved file and continued to state (CA) return, the software asked me to pay $45 for the state return. 

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Are you using the Windows or Mac version?  

First reboot your computer (restart) and make sure you have the latest updates.

Start a new blank "dummy" return without transferring in any info from a 2020 file.  Enter minimal info such as "John Doe".  Then try to download the state program into your software..  Does it still ask you to pay for it?

If the download of state went OK without being asked to pay, then save that file (you can delete it later), then try opening your actual return data file and see if the state program is working OK.

If it still asks you to pay, it's possible there is still some remnant of the previous installation that TurboTax is picking up.  You can either phone TurboTax Support at that point (as mentioned below), or if you want to try another maneuver first, you can try  a forceful uninstall/reinstall again, using whichever of these FAQs is for your operating system, which should hopefully allow for a more complete uninstall.

FAQ:  Forceful uninstall for Windows version of TurboTax:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

NOTE:  If you decide to do that, use the method there marked "Solution."  Do not use the alternate method for download version there.  Instead phone TurboTax Support if "Solution" did not work.

FAQ:  Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

Otherwise, if you don't want to do the forceful uninstall/reinstall, or if the problem persists, phone TurboTax Support and ask them for assistance.  If they don't know how to solve it, ask them if they will just push the state download to you.  That may be the quickest solution.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12AM Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies