holdtheline

I became a legal resident in 2019, and am trying to use turbotax to figure out whether or not I need to file taxes for last year, since I did not live in the US at all.

However, after creating an account, I cant find a way to upgrade the product from free file based on online instructions (no Upgrade button showing) and the only way to reach a human seems to be calling a US number while abroad (which after waiting for 2 hours on hold I gave up on). Is there a way to get in touch with Turbotax via message, or to find out whether or not I need to file from elsewhere ? Thanks in advance for your answers.

CarolynM

There are so many factors about if you need to file a 1040 for residents or 1040NR for non-residents.

I advise you to start with our partner site, Sprintax. They handle the filing of 1040NR. 

They will take you through a series of questions to determine how you should file.

If you need a 1040, they will refer you back to TurboTax.

Follow this link to get started: Sprintax

holdtheline

Reply: Based on the information you provided, you are deemed a US resident for tax purposes, which means Sprintax software isn't suitable for you. Sprintax facilitates non-resident tax preparation only.
However our partner Turbo tax specializes in tax returns for US residents