turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I became a legal resident in 2019, and am trying to use turbotax to figure out whether or not I need to file taxes for last year, since I did not live in the US at all.

However, after creating an account, I cant find a way to upgrade the product from free file based on online instructions (no Upgrade button showing) and the only way to reach a human seems to be calling a US number while abroad (which after waiting for 2 hours on hold I gave up on). Is there a way to get in touch with Turbotax via message, or to find out whether or not I need to file from elsewhere ? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I became a legal resident in 2019, and am trying to use turbotax to figure out whether or not I need to file taxes for last year, since I did not live in the US at all.

There are so many factors about if you need to file a 1040 for residents or 1040NR for non-residents.

I advise you to start with our partner site, Sprintax. They handle the filing of 1040NR. 

They will take you through a series of questions to determine how you should file.

If you need a 1040, they will refer you back to TurboTax.

Follow this link to get started: Sprintax

Reply: Based on the information you provided, you are deemed a US resident for tax purposes, which means Sprintax software isn't suitable for you. Sprintax facilitates non-resident tax preparation only.
However our partner Turbo tax specializes in tax returns for US residents
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies