herrball12

I am widower with two dependent children. Wife passed in 2018 and had some income which I included in last year's return. How is it best to file for 2019?

So sorry for your loss.  For the two years following the year that your spouse passed, you can file as a qualifying widower since you have qualified child dependents.  That gives your a higher standard deduction--reducing the amount of income you are taxed on.  You could have filed a joint return for 2018--is that what you did?

For 2019 and 2020 next year, file as a qualifying widower.  (assuming the children are still dependents for 2020)

Follow the interview screens and the program will lead you in the right direction ... in the MY INFO tab you report your MARITAL STATUS as widowed ... then once you complete the dependent section the program will suggest Qualifying Widow FILING STATUS which is the best option ...  you get this for the 2 years following the death of the spouse as long as you have qualifying dependents ... after that you change to Head of Household until the kids grow up.

herrball12

Yes, I was told I still had to file jointly, as my wife had had some income in 2018.

This will then be the first time I am supposed to file as "qualified widower", assuming I am doing it correctly.

Thank you,  

herrball12

Thank you - that helps a lot!