Unfortunately, you cannot use the free version of TurboTax. You must upgrade to the Deluxe version.
Remember, alimony (spousal support) you received should be reported as income if the divorce or separation agreement is executed by December 31, 2018. Don't report child support.
Alimony payments resulting from agreements executed after 2018 no longer have to be reported due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. The same holds true for agreements modified after 2018 if the new version specifically states that the TCJA treatment of nonreportable alimony payments now applies.
To report alimony you received:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- Inside TurboTax, search for alimony received and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you receive alimony or spousal support? and follow the onscreen instructions.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.
To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:
- A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
- You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
- You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).
IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-freedom-edition
See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Progam and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-freedom-edition-and-free-edi...
And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition