turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

austin2

I am trying to finish my 2015 taxes and it is now telling me I have download software. I was adjusting my taxes 2 days ago, what happened?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I am trying to finish my 2015 taxes and it is now telling me I have download software. I was adjusting my taxes 2 days ago, what happened?

What happened is November 15th came and went.  Check the announcement in the upper right hand corner of this forum.  Turbotax shuts down every year and this year it chose November 15, which is later than usual.  Remember - extensions already ran out a month ago.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

What happened is November 15th came and went.  Check the announcement in the upper right hand corner of this forum.  Turbotax shuts down every year and this year it chose November 15, which is later than usual.  Remember - extensions already ran out a month ago.

austin2

So if I purchase the software, does it allow me to continue where I left off? Will I still be charged the standard turbotax fee on top of the software price? Or is the software price in lieu of the turbotax fee?

Did you already pay for the Online version?  If you already paid, you won't have to pay again.  If you already paid online, you can ask TurboTax Support for the software download.

If you haven't paid at all yet, then you will need to purchase the 2015 software.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...>

You will not have to start over.  Download your *.tax2015 data file from your 2015 Tax Timeline and install the 2015 desktop software.  If the *.tax2015 data file also has a state retun in it, then before opening it, you'll need to download the state program into the installed software first.

If you already paid, then here's to reach TurboTax Support:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>?
austin2

Thank you, this is very helpful. One last question, is the state program I'll need to install into the software available through the software purchase?

When you purchase the software from TurboTax, it includes a state program download as part of the price.  After you install the main program, you can download the state program.   You may have to start a fake return first, just to download the state program.    See these steps:

When installing the software, you must use Administrator privilege.
Disconnect from the Internet first, so you can safely temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software programs.
Close any open programs.
Once installed, be sure to re-enable the antivirus and firewall software programs before connecting back up to the Internet.
After installing, reboot (restart your computer).
Launch TurboTax, and run the program updater to check for any updates.
Then start a fake return to download the state program.  To download the state program, click ONLINE at the top menubar, and in the dropdown menu choose "Download State."
Once the state program is installed, you can "Open" the downloaded *.tax2015 data file to work on your 2015 return.
austin2

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Ill let you know if I run into any problems.

You're welcome.  Good luck.  I also left the link above for Customer Support phone number if you need it.

You can sign into your account and download the tax file.  It will end in .tax2015.  Then you can open it in the  Desktop installed program to continue so you don't have to start over.  See screen shot.

austin2

thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies