turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jiacheng
Returning Member

I am trying to fill the Form 8615, there is a box needs parent's ssn, however, my parents are foreigners and they don't have ssn. What should I fill in this box?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am trying to fill the Form 8615, there is a box needs parent's ssn, however, my parents are foreigners and they don't have ssn. What should I fill in this box?

Enter 0 (zero) for all of your parents AGI and income since they have no US income.   Enter "555-55-5555" for the SSN so that TurboTax will not error out.   You CANNOT e-fie that way, so print and white out the 555-555-5555 SSN and write "FOREIGN CIT" in its place.

(Some believe that the question that asks if you have a parent that is alive, it is referring to a parent that is a US tax payer, so it is okay to say no if the parents are foreign  - I do not subscribe to or recommend  that view.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Enter 0 (zero) for all of your parents AGI and income since they have no US income.   Enter "555-55-5555" for the SSN so that TurboTax will not error out.   You CANNOT e-fie that way, so print and white out the 555-555-5555 SSN and write "FOREIGN CIT" in its place.

(Some believe that the question that asks if you have a parent that is alive, it is referring to a parent that is a US tax payer, so it is okay to say no if the parents are foreign  - I do not subscribe to or recommend  that view.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Jiacheng
Returning Member

Thank you! May I ask which boxes should I enter my parent's AGI?

hansz1121
Returning Member

When I uploaded the file, there is not any option for 8615 form.

When I put in [social security number removed] as my parent's SSN, the system does not process through, it keeps me back on this form, I have been looping on this BUG for over an hour.

Is there a way for me to go through this?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS apparently never considered the possibility of a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is required to file IRS Form 8615 and whose parents are foreign or do not file a  US tax return. The IRS does not provide any instructions or guidance for this situation.

The best that can be suggested is the following, with thanks to SuperUser, macuser_22, who suggested this approach.  You may be able to access IRS Form 8615 questions by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools,
  • Click on Tools.
  • Click on Topic Search.
  • At the box I’m looking for, enter 8615.  Click Go.
  • At the screen Child’s Unearned Income, click Continue.
  • Answer the parent questions.  When TurboTax asks whether your parents are filing a joint tax return, answer Yes even though they aren't. That will eliminate the question with the three options for filing status.
  • When it asks for your parents' taxable income, enter zero. That is true, since they have no U.S. taxable income.
  • Leave all the other income questions blank.
  • Also leave your parent's Social Security Number blank.
  • When the error check tells you that the SSN must be entered, just click Continue. You will not be able to e-file. 
  • Print the tax return.
  • In the space for the parent's Social Security number on Form 8615, write NRA (for NonResident Alien).
  • File the return by mail.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies