turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktadsen

I am trying to enter the portion of government interest from a 1099-DIV. The system refuses to save it when I enter the amount then click Continue.

When I look at the 1099-DIV review, it says I still need to review that entry. I have tried to enter it multiple times. I am aware how to do this, I have to enter these every year. It just doesn't work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am trying to enter the portion of government interest from a 1099-DIV. The system refuses to save it when I enter the amount then click Continue.

I've tried it several ways, and it always takes as long as the Govt interest amount  doesn't exceed box 1a.

Perhaps...delete that 1099-DIV entirely and enter it again from scratch....manually.  Don't import it if you did that before either.  Be carful not to hit the comma key next to the decimal point if you are using the main keyboard.

and Don't enter any 0.00 values in any of the other boxes...those shouldn't affect what you are doing, but one never knows.

Other??? don't use phone to fill in anything...dang autocorrect messes up thousands of folks.   Of course, an autocorrect on any computer could mess up a tax file, but phones are notorious....or use another browser instead and see what happens?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@ktadsen 

An FAQ sign-up for that error:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/1099-div-with-exempt-interest-income-shows-needs-r...

but a simple workaround for now:

go back and 

1) Edit the 1099-DIV in question

2)  On the page that shows boxes 1a, 1b and 2a....just click on the box to show all the other boxes ( you apparently don't need )  "My form has info in other boxes

3)  Scroll to the bottom of the page, and hit "Continue"

4) Next page make sure you have the "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest" and hit "Continue"

5) Enter the US govt interest in the box provided and continue out to the 1099-DIV table.

should be OK now.......don't uncheck that box in step #2 or it will go away again.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies