donaldcrain11010

I am the company secretary of my company. This year I received a check for the position. I also got a 1099-MISC. Do I have to claim it as another business? Enter How?

I have been employed at my company since 1994.  In 2005 I was made the company secretary and so I keep a notebook with board meeting notes in it.  This year, the president of the company decided to start paying board members.  I received a 1099-misc.  I am not sure how to enter that.  Can you direct me on how to enter this money?  I may end up getting this one time check every year - does that make this a second job?  If so, am I now self employed on that portion?  My wife has her own business, so we are already working with the Home and Business software and we pay the self employment tax for her. 

DianeW

Yes, you should enter the company secretary Form 1099-MISC, as a separate business for you.  This would be considered self employment income for the services you provide as company secretary.

DianeW