turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am the company secretary of my company. This year I received a check for the position. I also got a 1099-MISC. Do I have to claim it as another business? Enter How?

I have been employed at my company since 1994.  In 2005 I was made the company secretary and so I keep a notebook with board meeting notes in it.  This year, the president of the company decided to start paying board members.  I received a 1099-misc.  I am not sure how to enter that.  Can you direct me on how to enter this money?  I may end up getting this one time check every year - does that make this a second job?  If so, am I now self employed on that portion?  My wife has her own business, so we are already working with the Home and Business software and we pay the self employment tax for her. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I am the company secretary of my company. This year I received a check for the position. I also got a 1099-MISC. Do I have to claim it as another business? Enter How?

Yes, you should enter the company secretary Form 1099-MISC, as a separate business for you.  This would be considered self employment income for the services you provide as company secretary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should enter the company secretary Form 1099-MISC, as a separate business for you.  This would be considered self employment income for the services you provide as company secretary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies