Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mayuri28

I am planning to hire my mother as babysitter. she already live with us and on immigration what i am suppose to be , a household employer or can she be self employee?

I am planning to hire my mother as babysitter. she already live with us and on immigration. i will pay her more then 4000$ a year ,what i am suppose to be , a household employer or can she be self employee?what form i have to file like schedule H or other ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I am planning to hire my mother as babysitter. she already live with us and on immigration what i am suppose to be , a household employer or can she be self employee?

She can be self-employed.

Generally, for 2016 and 2017, an employer needs to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes for “cash wages” of $2,000 or more paid to any one employee. Cash wages refer to checks, money orders and the like. They don’t include “the value of food, lodging, clothing, transit passes and other noncash items you give your household employee.” But cash given to an employee in place of those items counts as cash wage.

Don’t count wages paid to your spouse or your child under 21, the IRS says. Wages paid to your parent typically don’t apply, either, although there are exceptions.

Don’t count wages paid to an employee under 18 at any time during the year, unless providing household services is “the employee’s principal occupation,” the IRS says. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies