Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are filing jointly. She is going through the immigration process and cannot receive government assistance. Can I, alone, receive my stimulus tax credit?

Our household meets the requirements for both stimulus checks, but did not receive either. We are concerned any sort of stimulus money would interfere with my wife's immigration process, therefore, we want to receive a stimulus tax credit for me and me alone while still filing jointly. Is this possible? How do I make sure Turbo Tax submits form 1040 for me and only me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

My wife and I are filing jointly. She is going through the immigration process and cannot receive government assistance. Can I, alone, receive my stimulus tax credit?

If you file a joint return, both you and your wife will be listed.  You can file Married filing Separately, which would not include her.  Generally, filing jointly will give you a bigger refund or less taxes due. When you file separately, your tax rate is higher and you won't be able to claim:

You can try the different ways with TurboTax's free calculator TaxCaster. It will give you the estimated tax differences when filing either way. It's up-to-date with the latest tax laws and can estimate your 2021 taxes as well.

The same eligibility rules apply to the second stimulus payment as the first one. You must have a valid Social Security number, and you can’t have been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 tax return.

In general, taxpayers without an eligible Social Security number are not eligible for the payment. However, this law allows for married taxpayers filing jointly where one spouse has a Social Security number and one spouse does not, to be eligible for a payment of $600, in addition to $600 per child with a Social Security number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies