turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Installed TurboTax 2018 on office laptop. When I try to install updates for California state I get error in updater "Failed to install update. "..signature...invalid.."

This laptop is office laptop which allows to install software using a "Thyocatic Administrator" option. The TurboTax 2018 software was installed successfully and I was able to begin my federal tax. When I try to install the California state tax patch, the updater gives are error message for failed update because of signature invalid. See attached screenshot (Updater_Error_CA_01192018.png) for details of the error. If I can manually download the software patch for CA, I can install it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Installed TurboTax 2018 on office laptop. When I try to install updates for California state I get error in updater "Failed to install update. "..signature...invalid.."

This looks very similar to a the problem I had.  After the initial installation of TurboTax 2018 Premier, when the program tried to update with the latest versions, it would fail with errors similar to what you are seeing.

I've attached a paper I wrote that describes what I saw and how to solve it.  I recommend you check the Analysis section of the paper to see if you are seeing the same FIPS error.  If you are, then the Solution section should work.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

This looks very similar to a the problem I had.  After the initial installation of TurboTax 2018 Premier, when the program tried to update with the latest versions, it would fail with errors similar to what you are seeing.

I've attached a paper I wrote that describes what I saw and how to solve it.  I recommend you check the Analysis section of the paper to see if you are seeing the same FIPS error.  If you are, then the Solution section should work.

Hi. Thank you very much for the information on the error. In your attached paper the analysis was spot on. The solution was correct as well to disable the FIPS algorithm. But the steps to disable on my laptop were different. I had to directly update the registry for a key. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy . I changed the value from 1 to 0. Then I restarted my computer, and the California update installed successfully. Appreciate your quick response. Regards, Shashank
leonhg88

I am having this same issue, can you provide more details for updating the registry for a key?

leonhg88:  NOTE:  If you are not familiar with how to update the registry, I recommend you locate someone who is because one mistake can seriously mess up your computer.  To get to the registry, right click on the Windows icon on the lower left of your display and select "Run".  In the "Open:" area, enter regedit and click OK.  Now navigate to the key in the above comment and change the value for the "Enabled" key from 1 to 0.
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an older thread that does not relate to this issue. However, you can work on Turbo Tax using different platforms but you cannot use different platforms at the same time. 

You would need to log out of one device before logging into the other device. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies