turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kpwhite64
Returning Member

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH TURBO TAX REGARDING ALOMONY SSN - KEEPS ON DROPPING THE LEADING "0" OF THE SSN

i PAY ALOMONY AND THE SSN FOR MY EX SPOUSE BEGINES WITH A "0". THE PROGRM KEEPS ON DROPPING THE LEADING "0" AND SAYS IT IS AN IVALID SSN. HELP!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH TURBO TAX REGARDING ALOMONY SSN - KEEPS ON DROPPING THE LEADING "0" OF THE SSN

Be sure you are typing the number zero, and not the letter "O".  Turn the Caps and Num Lock buttons off on your keybord.

kpwhite64
Returning Member

This did not answer or solve my question. My num and cap locks are off. The program accepts the zero (0) but then drops it when moving to the next question and displays the the error message. It is like excel where it drops the leading zero (0) when entering a zip code with a leading zero (0).

TurboTax should have a question line to allow for users to ask the a programing issue / question directly. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This is a known issue occurring within Turbo Tax. Please visit the article here, as you can sign up by email to be notified when this issue is resolved. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kpwhite64
Returning Member

The link you provided does not work for me. It states I do not have permissions to access. 

I am ready to submit my taxes but this issue is still generating an error when I do to update the SSN. 

When do you anticipate fixing this. I can not imagine I am the only one getting this error. 

PLEASE FIX THE ISSUE.  

@kpwhite64 wrote:

The link you provided does not work for me. It states I do not have permissions to access. 

I am ready to submit my taxes but this issue is still generating an error when I do to update the SSN. 

When do you anticipate fixing this. I can not imagine I am the only one getting this error. 

PLEASE FIX THE ISSUE.  

That error only shows on the TurboTax desktop page for entering alimony paid.  The correct SS number is entered on Schedule 1 line 18b.  The alimony paid flows to Form 1040 line 10a.  Going through Federal Review and final Review does not flag this as an error.

Make sure you have updated your software to the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

kpwhite64
Returning Member

Yes the program on my desktop has been updated. and the error message still popped up as of this morning. I enter the leading zero (0) and it disappears when I select done and the error message shows that I entered an invalid SSN. If it is a non issue than the number should stay and no error message should be displayed.  I cannot be the only one with this issue as most New England States and New York State have SSN's with a leading Zero (0) in the area number section (leading three digits of the SSN).  

@kpwhite64 This issue was reported on January 10, 2021.  Reported corrected on January 29, 2021.  But it appears the error still remains.

As stated this error is only on the program page and does not affect how the SS is being reported on the Schedule 1.  The tax return can be filed and the correct SS will be included with the filed tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies