Don119

I am drawing two small pensions and need to fill-out a new W-4 on each. How do I fill out the W-4 to have the maximum tax withheld? Married filing joint.

Pensions use a W4p form.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4p.pdf 

Corrlich44
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hi Don,

To be clear, are you still actively working as the basis for filling out a new W-4? If you are not working, you would have to speak to the financial institution who is distributing those funds and you can dictate to them how much Federal or State withholding tax you would like to withhold from either distribution, at your discretion. There is no W-4 for pension distributions, just a form the financial institution wants you to acknowledge as your minimum withholding tax.

Corrlich44
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Correction on my part Don, if you have access to the W4p to provide the financial institution.