turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liam2

I am an overseas resident, which state do I pay tax on 1099-misc box 7 (non-employee income) earnings?

I've been living in Europe 10+ year and for federal purposes I am a bone fide non-resident. I do consulting work for a US-company based in Michigan. They send me a 1099-misc with non-employee compensation (Box 7) of about $25,000. Since I consider NJ my state of origin (driver's licence, bank account, mailbox at parent's home) I've always filed there as a non-resident there. I've been declaring this 1099-Misc Box 7 income in NJ and not filing in Michigan.

I have never filed in Michigan but always in NJ.

My questions are in which state, if any, should I be paying tax on my 1099-misc earnings? Do I need to file in Michigan?

Aside from this I don't have any other earning in the US other than nominal DIV income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am an overseas resident, which state do I pay tax on 1099-misc box 7 (non-employee income) earnings?

You do not need to file a Michigan return, you are correct that you only file New Jersey

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You do not need to file a Michigan return, you are correct that you only file New Jersey

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
liam2

Thanks!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies