turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tbowman21

I am a stay at home mom with no earned income for 2016, but I do have a child I support. Can I still get a refund if I don't owe any money for taxes from last year?

I have read conflicting info on the credits regarding children. I've read that even if you don't have any income, you can still receive a credit/refund for them as long as you don't owe any money for taxes in previous years (which I don't) I've also read that you don't qualify for any credits for your children if you didn't earn a certain amount of income. I need some clarification please!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am a stay at home mom with no earned income for 2016, but I do have a child I support. Can I still get a refund if I don't owe any money for taxes from last year?

How do you support yourself and the child?

Are you married?  Generally if you have no income or only get SS or SSDI or ssi you don't have to file a return and there is no benefit in claiming dependents.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires you to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.

The Earned Income Credit, on a sliding scale, is available for any amount of earned income. The Additional Child Tax Credit. doesn't start until your have a minimum of $3000 of earned income. 

If you are married, you file a joint return with your spouse, and claim the credits based on his income. You cannot get anything filing a separate return from him.

And I’m being evicted with six children At home 

Would love to have qualified for this 

@ElonJohnson  

If you have taxable earned income then file a return to get any refund you are due ... but if you have no income to report those refundable credits are not available to you.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies