I am a French citizen working on a J-1 Research Sc...

dimitri_ma

I am a French citizen working on a J-1 Research Scholar visa (not a student visa) and receiving a taxable income. I want to use Turbotax and not Sprintax. Can I use it?

ErnieS0

It depends whether you qualify to file as a resident alien under the substantial presence test. J-1 research scholars are generally nonresidents for any part of two calendar years. You begin counting days in the third calendar year.

You meet this test if you were physically present in the U.S. on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

If you were only present in the U.S. for a few months in 2020 and not for a substantial period of time in the prior two years, then you would not be able to use TurboTax.

You would file as a non-resident alien. Use Sprintax.com to prepare your taxes.

dimitri_ma

Thank you!